Monday 12 February 2007

A week without rice

Had some discussions with a Fitness Pro yesterday during my workout time. I know this guy quite well cos I always asked him many things related to fitness and workout routines. From him I learnt on some new techniques and equipments. The good thing is, I don't have to pay him anything cos he gave me free consultation every time I asked him so. This is the good part of him; share his knowledge. Out of all Fitness Pro and Personal Trainers there, he's the only one who has a degree in Sports Science. No wonder he sounds so good in this.


But good things never last for long. Yesterday, during my workout time he told me that he just got an offer from the government as a sports officer in Ministry of Higher Education. His new role is to oversee and monitor the performance of Malaysian athletes under the government scholarship program. I wish him good luck in his new career!


When we met yesterday, he gave me some tips to control my diet. The first one is, he asked me not to consume rice for a week. Wah, so extreme! What a good suggestion; a week without rice. He told me that if I really do that and discipline myself, I can see the difference. Obviously! Well, I can give myself a try but a week without rice sounds a bit difficult to me as I'm a typical Malay who consumes rice in most of my heavy meals. This will be a great challenge to me but I told him that I can't start next week cos got a few wedding invitations to attend and furthermore I'll go back to my hometown. He laughed at me and said that I'll gain some weights after the holidays.


His advice is simple. Avoid rice consumption for the whole week and try to practice fasting on Mondays and Thursdays. Apart from practicing a healthy lifestyle, fasting on these two days also is a part of sunnah and strongly recommended by Prophet Muhammad. To cover the rice portion, he advised me to take some meats and vegetables and at the same time avoid those oily foods.


He also asked me to drink 100 plus before I sleep at night and in the morning when I wake up as his second tip. I argued with him that 100 plus contains excessive amount of sugar and this can lead us to the diabetic problem. At least, this is what I heard before but he argued back and said that I'm wrong in my argument. I have nothing much to say as I'm not expert in this. Maybe I should ask a dietician to clarify this.


So, a week with no rice huh? Dare to take this challenge?? Let us see the result together!

No comments: