Tuesday 6 February 2007

Consumer Rights

Yesterday, I went to my gym for another workout session. Reached there around 6.00 pm but couldn’t get any space to park my car; ended up driving around for three times until I get the desired parking space. I felt like doing ‘tawaf’ ; one of the Haj and Umrah pillar but in a modern context. Yeah, I was driving but for tawaf, you have to walk around the Kaabah for seven times. Last time, I never encountered any parking problem as I was on bike.

While walking towards the entrance, I saw Rizal, the sales guy of Cali and asked him about my membership upgrade. Just to share the overview about the membership. Currently I hold a gold membership, which is one club membership. Since I chose SC Tower club, I am not entitle for other clubs like Mid Valley. Since my one-year term is going to end this month, I was thinking of upgrading it to the Platinum membership, which giving me access to all clubs and branches of Cali. The benefit is much better but my idea is, I want to have a better monthly fee as other friends of mine are enjoying now. Can you imagine, I have to pay almost RM 150 per month for one club whereby other friends of mine enjoying Platinum membership with monthly fee of only +-RM130. Wow, what a surprise!! As a consumer, I felt cheated and demanded them to give me the same price as my friends.

Last time, I had an argument session with former GM of SC Branch, Julian and he introduced me with another tricky plan called Infiniti. Rizal, the sales guy strongly didn’t encourage me to join that plan. Now Julian is in Mid Valley branch and the new GM for SC is Helen; a nice lady. I had another minor argument session with her last week after been approached by another sales guy with another tricky plan. :p Why I said tricky…let me explain. When the guy approached me, he told that I can upgrade my membership to platinum and my monthly fee is just RM 95. Wow, so impressive!! But, I have to sign up in advance for 3 years. Means, I have to pay for three years; RM 95 x 36 = +-RM 3420 Nonsense!! I complaint to Helen, the new GM and surprisingly she told me that the plan is her idea. Creative marketing as she claimed. Sigh.

So, when I was with Rizal yesterday, Helen saw us and she came and joined us. Out of my expectation, she could still remember my name and called me with the name. I was stunned cos we just met for once. I think maybe because of my strong characteristic and the way I argued with her and others there made her to remember my name. Maybe I made their work harder. Hehe Well, I just practice my right as a consumer.

At least I was happy yesterday after signing for my membership termination. Both Rizal and Helen asked me to do so as this is the best option for me at the moment. Once my membership is terminated, I can apply as a new bird and enjoy a better deal. Thanks for their creative thinking!! :p

I was about to put a full stop for this article but a call from another sales person stopped me from doing so. This had nothing to do with my gym membership. This young lady I supposed called me and said I was chosen as a lucky person to enjoy some privileges under the Visit Malaysia Year campaign. The modus operandi is very simple. She asked me few questions on my credit cards to confirm that I am using it. Luckily, I read about this and mentioned to her that I am not interested. She then hung up the phone with no words. So rude!!

As for the conclusion, I strongly encourage each and every one of us to practice our rights as consumers. The choice is with us and as consumers, we have the buying power. We can always say no to them.

1 comment:

ilass said...

I also just got a phone call yesterday...similar to ur story

Hmm...she talked so much bla..bla..bla.. n i didn't understand of cos... dunno what she was rushing for??? i felt that she just really wasting my office time!!

at the end.. i asked her the website of her company..
www.srivacations.com.my
n asked one of my colleague...
then i decided to be a member since so much benefits to me soon.
just grab it as i luv to travel.. haha