Tuesday 23 January 2007

Blood Diamond

Just want to share with you guys about the second latest movie I watched on last Saturday nite; Blood Diamond. At first, when I bought a ticket for 9:00 pm show of Blood Diamond in the Cathay Cineplex, I thought this movie will just be another entertaining movie to fill my lonely nite. Well, I have to admit that watching movies in the cinema gives me pleasure and satisfaction rather than watching pirated version of VCD or DVD (please take note that I cannot afford to buy the original version with no intention to support this piracy industry).

Honestly, I have to admit that I really enjoy watching this movie of two and a half hours duration. I have to stress the word 'enjoy' here cos I can easily fall to sleep while watching movies at nite :p Well, back to this movie directed by Edward Zwick and anchored by Leonardo Di Caprio and Jennifer Connelly, I found out that this movie is so special to me compared to other movies I watched before. Most importantly, I had no chance at all to fall into sleep throughout the show, which I normally did before.

Let me give my quick reviews on this movie. The subject is about the smuggling of diamond from the source country, Sierra Leone to the main trader in London through Liberia with the background of chaotic situation in Sierra Leone. This movie is all about Danny Archer (Leonardo Di Caprio), an ex-mercenary and Solomon Vandy (Djimon Hounsou), a local fisherman who works hard to support his family. They share the same mission to recover a rare pink diamond; the stone with a very high value that can transform one's life. Another main character in this movie is Maddy Bowen (Jennifer Connelly), an idealistic American journalist who is in the mission to reveal the truth behind the diamond industry. These three mentioned characters play important roles in the movie.

If you are looking a combination of elements; action, values, humanity etc., this movie will suit you the best. I was touched with the character of Solomon Vandy. He tried his very best to save his family especially after his only son was kidnapped by the militia group. Too sad and touched to see how the militia recruited and trained the innocent kids to be part of their organization. The kids were trained to be anti-establishment and brutal until the extend of killing their own families. The survival, courage and loving characteristics portrayed by the character of Soloman Vandy really turned me on and made me really admire the character.


Well, what made this movie so interesting to me is about the way the subject been discussed in a very meaningful way. It is not only entertaining but this movie is far away beyond that. It touched on the humanity aspects as well as the ugliness of greedy people who are in power. We can learn many things from the movie but I just want to highlight few main points here:

i. Poverty can lead to chaotic and disaster.
ii. Weak leadership with no direction is one of the main contributing
factors to the instability and chaotic situation

Finally, you can judge yourself by watching this movie and to me, you will not regret at all. Absolutely!! Happy viewing....

No comments: