Friday 19 January 2007

New Year, Maal Hijrah - Muharam 1, 1428H

In the Gregorian Calendar, today is January 20, which means we are already 20 days in the year of 2007. Nothing much today as it is just another day in the calendar. But for us as muslims, today is the first day of our Hijr calendar; Muharam 1, 1428H. Today is our new year and today we start the new chapter in our life.

Some of us might not realize that today is the new year for Muslims around the globe as we are most of the time using the Gregorian Calendar. Again, today is a good day for us as the first day of Hijr calendar falls on Friday; the day called as 'Sayyidul Ayyam', which more or less contextual meaning as the most honoured day among all the days of the week. Please correct me if I am wrong or the meaning is out of context. I am not good in Arabic though. Anyway, the main point here that I would like to share is the first day in the Hijr Calendar for this year falls on Friday, 'Sayyidul Ayyam' in which means a lot and very significant in its context. I am not going to elaborate more on the concept of Sayyidul Ayyam but what I want to stress here is the significance of today as the first day of the year and also at the same time falls on Friday. two good things here; new year and Friday!

Well, I do not plan to write any longer as this is my first posting in my own blog. Been a passionate reader for a few blogs and I think with the spirit of new year and the barakah of Sayyidul Ayyam, this is a good move for me to have my own blog and share my thoughts, opinions, feelings etc. Wish everyone Maal Hijrah and may this year be better than the last. May our dreams, desires, and wishes be true and may we all be in the pink of health under the blessing of The Almighty; The Most Gracious and The Most Merciful.

Happy New Year! Maal Hijrah!